Friday, September 19, 2008

We're baaaack

And the latest saga continues....

I went to a GI recently to try and figure out why my digestion is so terrible. He sent me to get a CT scan of my GI tract. Guess what? They didn't find anything wrong. He can't explain why I bloat and am so gassy. Sometimes it is so bad, I can literally hear my intestines fill with air. The doctor would like me to swallow a camera, strap on the tape, and hang out all day while the camera goes through my intestines. Problem is, my insurance won't pay for it because it is a new procedure.

This leaves me to either 1) not to it or, 2) pay for it myself. I chose option 1. The doctor didn't find anything wrong in the CT scan so he isn't sure. This means he is kinda shooting in the dark. I am not ready to pay for a guess just yet. But, he did find a large nodule on my uterus and suggested I go to a OBGYN.

Lucky for me, I already had an appointment set up in two weeks. The doctor sent over the CT scan, and I then went to my surgical consultation to see what Dr. Gemmell had to say.

Let me start with the clinic: it is great, with all women doctors, a comfortable waiting room, and a nice staff, but I have NEVER had to wait that long for my appointment. All told, Eric and I were in the office for over three hours. Most of that was not with a doctor.

That said, Dr Gemmell thinks I have endometriosis. Hmmm, haven't I heard about this before? Here is the thing...at least this time she is doing a laparoscopy to determine if I have endometriosis. If I do, then she is doing a hysteroscopy. Yes, that is right, she is removing my uterus through the same holes she made for the laparoscopy.

I don't know how I feel about this. I feel like there is progress, that it seems I have a doctor who is helping me to feel better after feeling so crappy for so long. But I don't know. This seems like a very long progress. And really, I don't know how I feel about losing my uterus. I guess I don't really need it. I will be keeping my ovaries for the hormones. Maybe it will make my stomach flatter :)

No comments: